Terms of Reference
Energy Saving Devon
Key stakeholders with shared objectives have come together across Devon, Plymouth and Torbay (“Devon”) in an informal partnership, previously known as Cosy Devon.
The purpose of the partnership is to:
- Provide a Devon-wide networking opportunity on retrofit issues to share knowledge and experience.
- Monitor Devon-wide retrofit activity.
- Steer Devon-wide retrofit activity to ensure a coordinated approach, particularly functioning as the project board for the Energy Saving Devon energy advice service.
- Collaborate on joint projects as opportunities arise.
- Oversee the implementation of the retrofit-related actions in the Built Environment section of the Devon Carbon Plan on behalf of the Devon Climate Emergency Response Group
The aim of the partnership is to reduce poverty, improve health outcomes and eliminate carbon emissions associated with buildings.
The objectives of the partnership are to ensure Devon has:
- Access to impartial and high-quality retrofit advice and coordination.
- Support for fuel poor households.
- Qualified and trusted installers.
- Bespoke offers for each market segment.
- High awareness of potential rogue trading and scams.
- Communities taking action locally.
Membership of Energy Saving Devon is open to all local authorities in Devon, their strategic partners (e.g. coordinators of active schemes and project delivery bodies) and community energy organisations active in retrofit.
Other stakeholders, such as commercial installers, who can assist the partnership in achieving its objectives will be invited on an ad-hoc basis to discuss specific issues.
The partnership will seek to make decision by consensus. If necessary, decisions can be taken by a majority vote, with the chair holding an additional casting vote.
7. Arrangements for meetings
The Chairing of each meeting will rotate between the community energy organisations. All those present at meetings shall respect the authority of the Chair to regulate the conduct of business.
Scheduled meetings will occur quarterly. Additional meetings may occur as required.
The Chair shall have responsibility for ensuring future meetings are scheduled and will have the responsibility for ensuring the circulation of meeting agendas and papers. This can be delegated to another Energy Saving Devon member as appropriate and all Energy Saving Devon members will be expected to assist where necessary.
Declaration of Interests
All members of Energy Saving Devon shall agree to declare any duality or conflict of interests which could prejudice their participation or others’ perceptions of their participation.
Where issues of commercial confidentiality arise or are identified, then interested parties shall withdraw from the meeting for the duration of those matters. These items will be scheduled for Part B of the meeting and will generally only be attended by the local authority members.
Devon County Council will provide the secretariat.
8. Communications and accountability
Information about the activities and performance of Energy Saving Devon and the initiatives it represents will be publicised and communicated in agreement with all members.
The Energy Saving Devon logo can be used by all members who have signed a logo-use agreement with Devon County Council which owns the intellectual property.
There will be an annual review by Energy Saving Devon of its membership, performance and terms of reference and the outcome of the review will be made available to the governing bodies of the respective organisations of the membership of Energy Saving Devon.
9. Harmful actions / Variations
If at any time any member believes that the work of Energy Saving Devon is being harmed by the activities of one or more of the members attending a meeting, or purporting to act in the name of Energy Saving Devon, then the Chair may seek the authority of those present to exclude such person or persons from the meeting or the authority to exclude such person or organisations from future meetings and/or refute their actions.
Any variation to these terms of reference shall be agreed by members of Energy Saving Devon in open session at a meeting.
Adopted 25th April 2023