Home Upgrade Grant 2
For homes in Exeter, Torbay, Teignbridge, East Devon, Mid Devon, North Devon, Torridge, South Hams* and West Devon*
The Home Upgrade Grant 2 (HUG2) project is a government funded scheme to deliver energy efficiency and low carbon heating improvements to low-income households living in poorly performing homes.
This scheme is open to households who meet the following criteria:
- Off-gas *
- Low income **
- An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) of D,E,F or G ***
* Where the home is not heated using gas, ie dwellings that use oil, LPG, coal, solid fuels or electricity for heating purposes. Households connected to the mains gas grid for heating purposes are not eligible, including where the primary heating source of a mains gas boiler is broken and the secondary heating source is electricity.
**To fulfil this criteria you must either live in an eligible postcode area OR have a total household income of £31,000 or less, before tax.
***If you do not know your EPC level you may be able to find it here.
This project takes a ‘whole house’ approach, prioritising the measures which will have the most impact on making the home more energy efficient. The measures on offer to individual households will depend on the measures recommended by a Retrofit Designer following a site survey and detailed designs. They will usually include some sort of insulation.
There is a limited amount of funding available per household. Upgrades could include cavity wall insulation, solid wall insulation, loft insulation, external wall insulation, draught proofing, underfloor insulation, low energy lighting, heat pumps or heating controls. Proof of eligibility will be required.
Private sector landlords who own 4 or fewer rental properties are also able to apply for this scheme for properties rated EPC D or E (or EPC F and G for properties that have MEES exemptions). They will be required to contribute a minimum of 1/3 of the total cost of the upgrades.
For those living in flats, we are only able to offer support where we receive eligible applications from multiple homeowners from the same building (at least two separate flats).
The funding does not extend to structural or remedial measures which may be necessary for your home to benefit fully from the energy efficiency measures. Remedial measures are the responsibility of the householder
This funding will be delivered between April 2023 and March 2025. To find out more about HUG2, please click here.
If you live in Exeter, Torbay, Teignbridge, East Devon, Mid Devon, North Devon, Torridge or Plymouth please register your interest by completing the form below:
This scheme is funded by the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (DESNZ). This Privacy Notice sets out your rights and explains how your personal data will be used.
Terms & conditions
- All applications made need to meet the eligibility criteria set for the Local Authority area. An energy survey (Retrofit Assessment) is required before improvement recommendations can be made for your home.
- Improvements are funded through the Home Upgrade Grant Scheme, phase 2, a government scheme to help reach UK zero carbon targets.
- Savings and reductions in energy usage and carbon emissions will vary by property type, household energy usage and heating fuel type.
- Installation work must be completed no later than 31st March 2025 to be eligible for funding