Skip to content
Hold – lg image 02

Useful FAQs about Energy Saving Devon and retrofit

What is retrofit?  

Retrofit, is when a property is fitted with energy efficiency or renewable energy measures after it has been built. which help to cut down on the amount of energy they use to heat, cool or power a home. This focus on efficiency is why retrofitting differs from renovating a house or making home improvements which are commonly designed to improve a home’s look or functionality. 

Why should I upgrade my home?  

Upgrading elements of your home can bring benefits to your home, and the environment. It can lower your energy bills, ensure you feel more of the heat you pay for, improve your indoor air quality, and reduce your carbon footprint.  

How can I save energy in my home?  

There are plenty of ways to save energy in your home, from small everyday behaviour changes to more efficient ways to heat your home. Click through to our web page for examples of both that can improve your home.  

For further advice visit and see the Energy Saving tips to save money.  

How can I check my installer is trustworthy? 

Our Trusted Traders page [link] can direct you on how to find trusted trades people in your area. To check your installer is trustworthy you can look to see if your installer is part of the Buy with Confidence scheme or the Trustmark scheme. These schemes ensure that installers are suitably skilled and experienced to carry out the works they advertise and are also checked for good customer service.  

For more detailed information about these schemes visit our Trusted Traders Page.

What is Plan Builder? 

Plan Builder helps you identify where the opportunities are to make your home warmer, reduce your CO2 emissions and cut your energy bills. 

This is tailored around what we know about your property and can highlight the opportunities and likely costs of improving your home – empowering you to upgrade your home today.  

What is a Home Energy Plan?  

A detailed and fully-costed plan to achieve your upgrade goal in line with future changes to your financial situation or home needs. 

Who do I contact for a Home Energy Plan for my home? 

You can get a Home Energy Plan via the Energy Saving Devon support partners (such as your local council), which is the best way of really understanding how your goal in terms of energy or carbon reduction can be best achieved and ensuring this fits with your planned works or financial situation.  

Our support partners can help with all stages of your upgrade journey, from learning more about the process to exploring funding options, or finding a trusted trader to complete the works.  

What are the funding options for home improvements/retrofitting? 

Costs vary depending on the size of your house, its energy efficiency, and how old it is – so there is no set cost of improvements for all home. However, there are funding options available: 

  • Home Upgrade Grant – funding from the Government that could cover new double-glazed windows, loft insulation or even the installation of energy efficient, low carbon Air Source Heat Pumps 
  • Energy Company Obligation – energy companies can provide funding to eligible households for energy efficient improvements such as new boilers  
  • Finance Options e.g., Lendology – Lendology are a not-for-profit organisation working with councils in Devon to provide easy to obtain, low interest loans for energy efficient home upgrades 

For further information about each option, and the eligibility criteria, head to our Funding and Finance page.

Where can I find information on funding for home improvement / retrofitting? 

Our Funding and Finance page explains the available funding options for home improvement or retrofitting, explaining the eligibility criteria and where to go to apply.  

How do I know if I am eligible for a grant? 

Visit our Finance and Funding page for more information about the grants, and visit our Eligibility Tool page to see the criteria  

You may be eligible for a grant for if: 

  • Your household income is less than £32,000, or are on benefits 
  • Your property is not connected to the main gas network 
  • Your property has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of G, F, E, or D  
  • You are a landlord of an eligible property  

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?  

They tell you how energy efficient a building is with a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). This rating indicates how expensive it will likely be to heat your home. The EPC rating also highlights ways to improve your energy efficiency – which can point you in the direction of which ways will most lower energy costs and increase efficiency.  

Supported by

Devon County Council
Torbay Council
North Devon Council
Plymouth City Council
South Hams District Council
Torridge District Council
West Devon Borough Council
East Devon District Council
Exeter City Council
Mid Devon District Council
Teignbridge Council
Devon Climate Emergency